I'm making this blog to figure out which characters would benefit me in competitive play. I can't rely on Ness in most cases. I need a better variety.
Earlier I said that I would try to play and get a good understanding of each character. But with 50 characters and counting, I've decided to stick to the few that I really want to learn. Some of the characters I wanted to main, I've decided to drop. Characters I wanted to main: * Ness
* Dr. Mario
* Wii Fit Trainer
Characters I'm dropping: Rosalina
- She's my favorite Nintendo princess, yet her moveset is one of my least favorite. She's too floaty and dependent on Luma. While her moves are nice, she is not my style. I feel as though I can't completely control what she's doing. Her moves feel incredibly slow because they have long animations. I really don't like her in this game. Dr. Mario
- I assumed he would be better than Mario by a wider margin, but he's definitely worse. He can't recover or combo as well as Mario can. I haven't played him in a long time. Villager
- I spent the most time playing him in Smash 4 overall. I'm really disappointed with his moveset because it's mostly projectiles. I just wish he could apply a little more pressure than he already does. Dropped him after my recent tournament. I'm really sad to let him go. Potential Substitutes: * Captain Falcon
* Mega Man
I tend to grab people a lot. Falcon has amazing grabs. His aerials are nice. And he's definitely fast. I think he's got a really good chance of being in my team. Pikachu:
I like Pikachu's complexity. Lots of mixup potential and incredible speed. He's a tricky character, and I admire people that play him. Zelda:
I find her moves to be incredibly fascinating and majestic. Her moves are pretty sub par, but I'm willing to be patient for her. I think I just have a love for characters with fire. Lucas:
Need more information. Mega Man:
I originally didn't want to play him at all, but I'm thinking of some more uses for him later. It's gonna take some practice to hit his aerials accurately, but I'm certain he can be deadly when he's used correctly. Random:
No not the (?) Random. I'm considering doing what I did to pick my main in Brawl. Picking a random character and staying with them to the very end. I'm going to use this method as a last resort and ONLY when I have all the characters unlocked. I'm sure I'll blog about this sometime in the future. How I determine the characters pass:
I look at a few things.
First, they have to have an advantage over my other mains. It would kinda defeat the purpose to do this if this wasn't the case.
Second, I have to be familiar with their moves to the point where I understand how they work. Not on a M2K level where I look at all of the frames, but enough where I can say I know the character by heart.
Third, I have to win 90-95% in lower level matches. At least 50% in competitive matches. This will be hard to track, but I keep notes of my wins and losses. Notes:
1) I'm keeping Robin, Wii Fit Trainer, Sheik and Lucina as my mains because I haven't grown tired of them. Even though they're not all the best, I'm satisfied with their style. And I've adjusted to them.
- Robin specifically, has a fire stun like ness which I adore.
- Wii Fit Trainer has okay projectiles.
- Lucina because every team needs swordsman.
- Sheik because I've wanted to use her since brawl.
Even though I spend a lot of time with Ness, I try to practice with the others in friendlies.
2) For my Random rule, I have to play this character no matter what. Even if that character is someone I know I don't like. When I used this rule in Brawl, I didn't know what Ness was like. Yet, that was just pure luck he happens to be really good now.
3) Any character I didn't mention I really am not interested in playing them at the moment. There are characters I will never touch (Little Mac, Diddy Kong, and Pac Man), and there are characters I'm not sure about yet (Mario, Pit, Dark Pit).
4) If I ranked my mains in terms of experience:
Ness > Lucina > Wii Fit Trainer > Robin > Sheik